other village/council meeting discussions

the next meetings will be
tues, 11 feb, 6:30
tues, 25 feb, 6:30
176 N Grand St, theolass@efn.org

Committee Chair: Karla Caudell
(541) 337-5319 kjcaudell@yahoo.com

Structure images

CV/New Venue Mtg 2014, 1-16

Theater of Social Change Activity Explained

CV/New Venue Mtg 2013, 9-19

CV/New Venue Mtg 2013, 8-29

January 16, Community Village Craft Lot Installation Committee Meeting
Attended by lotsa folks including 5 members of the 2014 Coordination Council. Seelist at bottom of these notes.


  1. Structures
    1. Yona’s dome presentation
    2. Tim’s minimalist poles and banners idea
    3. Karla’s tent idea (from previous meetings)
    4. Rick’s Lodge and pods idea
    5. Melissa’s Multi structure idea
  2. Activities in the space
    1. Melissa –  Booth collaboration, plants
    2. Rick – lots of ideas
  3. Work /Plan timeline
  4. Should we spend any money? How much?
  5. What materials will we need
  6. Next Steps
  7. Agenda for next meeting

Yona’s Dome Idea
He has a 38 foot and a 16 foot dome, festooned with colored LED lights that respond to sound or hand control. A 30 inch model was there for us to see. It was cool. It’s solar powered and is a piece of art itself, appearing in the Pirate’s Cove in 2013. The concept is supported by Spirit Booth, who believe it would be  a great place for meditation. The lights are not really visible in the daytime. The dome is covered by translucent panels and is not rainproof, a separate cover of some kind (waxed canvas, partial cover…) There are two exits, more could be crated.  2-3 days to assemble with 4-6 people, I think. The dome is already made, the only expense would be the rain covering.

Rick’s Lodge Idea
Village represents community. Community Lodge ideas includes presentation spaces, stage, multipurpose adjustable spaces and pods outside of lodge structure. Could reflect vision of what’s happening now in the village and world. The structure itself could be an 8 sided structure with a yurt-like top maybe. One day assembly. Rick spoke at length about this which I did not capture ion my notes…

Tim’s minimalist idea
With likely Archeology approval, pound rebar into the ground and cover the above ground portion with recycled PVC pipe (or maybe bamboo poles) wrapped in colorful material or crepe paper. These poles could be varying lengths and would define various spaces in which activities would take place. They could define paths through the space to activity areas of any kind or size. Poles could be connected with hanging banners for tall poles, tapestries for chest high poles, streamers for waist high poles… Very flexible, cheap, colorful. Shade could be provided by parachutes or other large and lightweight fabric strategically placed. No plan for rain…

Karla’s tent idea
This is a carryover from previous meetings. A Shepard’s tent, canvas, waterproof, shade, about 20×40 and cost around $900. Tent exterior could be decorated and compelling, people would want to come in…

Melissa’s Multi structure idea
Several small structures of different design – like a Village… Include Tipi and more.

Melissa spoke about having booths collaborate, say Master Gardener and Wild Edibles for example. Include speakers that are experts in their field, but not too dry. Melissa is researching possibilities. Talked about including making small plants for people to take home.  The Fair has a tree nursery that may provide plants.
Maybe look for TED talk people to present. Maybe David Lewis could source camas bulbs. Tanja had lots of resource ideas not listed here.

Rick mentioned that the term “Climate Change” has been manipulated by media, etc. Prefers “Global Healing, or previously mentioned “Live Here Now”. Rick has connections to Paul Stamos, Patch Adams, Grandma somebody. Other ideas mentioned: Interactive and Dynamic; invite crafters to demonstrate how they create their craft; meditation/quiet time; incorporate traditional use of land (First Peoples); an after-hours piano lounge; activities that do not need staffing: a guest made mural, a chalk board for climate ideas; keep activities short so people are not stuck there for too long; activities that can be mounted without too much work as no new passes are available; include hanging plants and a fountain; electronic children’s create station with LED light elements; must be Participatory, not just interactive; Yona’s Dome has way cool lights for after-hours stuff.

Committee timeline – needs more work
Establish short (this year) and long term goals
Timeline for this year:

  1. Decide today to ask for money (decided not to ask)
  2. Get these notes to Jen-Lin who will compile list of activities discussed over all the meetings for the committee to narrow down to a manageable amount at the Feb 6 meeting.
  3. Present this list to the Village meeting Feb 12. Also present structure options.
  4. At committee’s Feb 13 meeting, take Village input and prepare list of activities to present to the Fair path planning committee (right?) Feb 16th.
  5. Determine entertainment needs by entertainment deadline (When is that?)
  6. Determine pass needs for these activities and structure assembly by April 9. Passes will come out of our present allocation – your booth’s passes.
  7. When to ask for signs & banners to make new stuff.
  8. Other deadlines related to the structure chosen TBD.

Materials needed
Lots newspapers to make paper plane pots – please start saving
Fabric remnants to tie together and make decorations (check with Rebecca)

Feb 6 meeting agenda: Activities before Structure

  1. Develop ideas more specifically. Consider synthesis
  2. Choose a limited number of ideas for this season
  3. Develop presentation for the Village meeting.

Next Steps

  1. Sue will take the roster of folks attending and send out an e-mail that we can all “reply to all” to have our conversations.
  2. We decided the committee (who?) would post a summary of our work weekly on the DRUM.
  3. Tim will keep all meeting notes current on the webpage dedicated to this committee. FrontOfFairInstallation.html (sorry about the page name)
  4. Jen-Lin will compile list of activities for the next meeting so they are easy to see.
  5. Send all relevant images or other info (including future meeting notes) to Tim (tim@gwproj.com)for posting on our webpage

Tim Mueller
OCF Community Village Coordinating Council
Yes, Yes, Yes

Here is the list of Jan 16 attendees:
big john               bigsqurlnuts@gmail.com
ann brentmar           brentmara@lanecc.edu
yona appletree         hypher@gmail.com
debra visser           debyvisser@gmail.com
tulsi wallace          tulsiwallace@gmail.com
tim mueller            tim@gwproj.com
rick kiyak-boughton    rickkb@live.com
tanya kiyak-boughton   tanya_b@efn.org
kenyon acton           actonke@gmail.com
sue theolass           theolass@efn.org
barb bohn              peaceqadira@aol.com
mellissa kirkland      spinningbeads@gmail.com
paul simon             psimon32@msn.com
jen-lin hodgden        jenlinjo@gmail.com
eric maccionnaith      ericmaccionnaith@yahoo.com
katie maccionnaith     kmaccionnaith@gmail.com
peggy johnson          peggy@acupeggy.com

Elaboration on Theater for Social Change from Eric
In answer to your questions, these types of activities are fairly flexible, so depending on what we want to do, we could have them go all day for the three days of the fair.  I have done seminars for college students that last anywhere from an hour to three hours at a shot.  Shorter sessions involve doing activities with uninitiated people, whereas longer sessions would we associated with training folks about the techniques of theatre for social change.  There are two (actually many, but we’ll limit this to two for our discussion) things that might be helpful for front of Fair this coming year:  spontaneous exercises and organized interactive performances (Forum Theatre and Invisible Theatre).

A typical exercise runs about 10-15 minutes each, though some are longer, and there are many many of these.  They are theatre games, essentially, but are meant to teach.  These can be run back to back to back and these would be something that someone who was wandering through the area could stop and do an exercise and then move on if they had somewhere they thought they needed to go.

Interactive performances typically last approximately an hour to an hour and a half for Forum Theatre, anywhere from 10-30 minutes for Invisible Theatre.  These require a team who is highly versed in the methodology of Boal, and then engages audiences by allowing them to participate in the performance in order to locate solutions to problems.  Here is a quick look at Forum Theatre (thanks, Wikipedia!):
Boal developed and practised an orthodox methodology for forum theatre based on the interaction between his actors and his so-called “spect-actors”. The spect-actor attempts to overturn the oppression using some method unused by the actors, whilst the actors portraying the oppressors improvise to attempt to bring the production to its original, scripted ending. If the audience believes that the spect-actor’s actions are too unrealistic to be utilized in reality, they may call out “magic!”, and the spect-actor must modify their actions accordingly. If this spect-actor fails in overthrowing the oppression, the actor resumes their character, and continues the production until another spect-actor calls out “stop! or freeze!” and attempts a different method.
If and when the oppression has been overthrown by the spect-actors, the production changes again the spect-actors now have the opportunity to replace the oppressors, and find new ways of challenging the oppressed character. In this way a more realistic depiction of the oppression can be made by the audience, who are often victims of the oppression. The whole process is designed to come to a conclusion through the consideration of opposing arguments, rather than where an argument is one-sided and pushed from the actors with no chance of reply or counter-argument.  Forum Theatre has been modified in practice in several nations where certain portions of the play are pre-written. The play stops at a controversial point, where the spect-actors determine what the fate of the actors will be. In the course, the spect-actors frequently join the play by adding themselves as new characters or replacing older characters and then interact with the actors to find a solution. As the major portion of the play is to be performed impromptu, forum theatre requires profound acting skills from the actors.

Invisible Theatre:  This is a form of theatrical performance that is enacted in a place where people would not normally expect to see one (for example in the street or in a shopping centre) and often with the performers attempting to disguise the fact that it is a performance from those who observe and who may choose to participate in it, thus leading spectators to view it as a real, unstaged event. It is not flash mobbing, or pranks or “punking,” (techniques similar to candid camera) that are meant to confuse, annoy, harass, or make fun of folks who aren’t in the know, but is meant to call attention to power differentials in society… it is a teaching tool.  You can see some of this type of thing on What Would You Do  http://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo/ .

So, depending on how we want to structure things, and how much help is involved, it could be done all day, everyday, but we may want to have other things going on.  There’s more that CV has to offer in this regard. Just my humble opinion. 🙂

Okay… back to work with me. 🙂


Director, Renegade Education Project
Eugene, Oregon

2013 09-19 CV New Venue Mtg notes in raw form

Add Diane Albino to committee contact list: see list on 8/29 notes

Yes, general mtg @ Growers in October, 2nd Wednesday
sole or primary agenda item = New Venue discussion
send note to CV Drum and to booth coordinators
request each booth send representative – someone(s) who are excited about this prospect

The Committee’s process & function

  • Visioning — wild & fantastical, long-range and 2014
  • Infrastructure budget, construction, staffing,
  • Practical Implementation — working with budget limits, immediate and develop over time (Note:  Chela Mela just celebrated its 10th anniversary)

submit modest proposal for cap project due (end of December/beginning of January?)…
Solidify plan by March;

Theme:  Climate Change
Cmte proposes this topic is broad enough to encompass several years’ discussions, etc…
(The village can then take time to determine ‘the fun theme’ for the year)

More options how to use the space up front:
Groups submit proposals to committee and the committee will  choose the good ones….
Split collaborative periods early/mid/late with big focus in between
Opportunity to offer workshops up front…inter-booth collaborations
ComeUnity House (master gardeners)/wild edibles/Intentional Communities(?)
possible cross-over w/ EP
native seed collecting
plant propagation/
demos how to green up at home on more complex scale
gray water systems
Green Earth/Arts
Recycled Art/Art made out of junk
Health & Healing/Spirit — hmm, gotta check; don’t want to ruffle feathers as the MotherShip (collection of vendors whose focus is Mind/Body/Spirit will be close by

Community Art
more riffing on/off of ‘installation art pieces’
I see recycled materials art — either creating big community sculpture(s) throughout the weekend. or small, individual — take it with you when you leave
the big sculptures could be added to similar to adding one line of the poem to create the whole — and that in itself could be another artistic piece — with chalk or whiteboard

and then there’s the ephemeral vs permanent quality of the art — is it the experience? the product? both?  Must it be documented? — possible with photographs….
back  to the big sculptures — what to do with them at the end o Fair?
could they be auctioned off, must be present to win (similar to the steel drum that I tried to win for so many years — racing to Upper River Loop at 6pm on Sunday)?
$$proceeds go to next year’s materials fund or Jill Heiman Vision Fund or Culture Jam?

Email response from Eric –
The installation art should be highly interactive, focused on CV theme, beautiful (please know that I mean this in the broadest and most diverse sense of the word), innovative, challenging, and visually stimulating.  I think an interactive art gallery would be tops. http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/art-installations-you-want-to-live-in http://weburbanist.com/2011/07/11/14-amazing-unexpected-urban-art-installations/   I LOVE the auction idea, particularly using these funds to donate to whatever organizations are associated with the theme we are promoting.

Community poetry –
On outside of structure post brightly colored frames with paper, white board, chalk board  with topics related to the current theme
This could attract folks to the ‘booth’, is interactive, somewhat ephemeral
Read/publish yesterday’s poem ala poetry slam (place tba)

Nature journaling = how to be observant

Another angle on climate change – the inevitability
Juicy Topic Titles: 
Hope for the best & prepare for the worst…
Being Here Now
the normal earth cyclic changes/how have we affected them/….we’ve sped it up….
What do we do to slow/stop the damage
Adapting to the change we’ve already created
What are the changes we are & will be dealing with
Predicted changes for western Oregon
Positive benefits of climate change – Wlmt Valley will become the napa valley
Recruit folks to talk on this —
Brainstorm list of resources/bring to next meeting then determine who contacts whom
Add Long Tom Watershed council & Fairs actions on riparian restoration, etc?
Melissa  research her connections
Diane call Environmental Studies Ctr
 Jen-Lin contact Laura /Spoken Word connection  & Budget 

Evening salons/fish bowl discussions (with tea?)
Possibly invite NA to Crafts Lot space on Saturday night…

Current taskS
Compile list of resources by next meeting then at next mtg  — Diane & Melissa
Then determine who contacts who at next meeting
Jen-Lin contact Spoken Word  ($$) support for CV speaker
Karla will check on sheep herder tent pricing/availability
Sue will ask Kirk – size ballpark…… What size will our structure space be?  25X25   with spill-over
And communicate such to Karla
Sue will check w/ food committee re serving tea at night

Next meeting:
Gather more info at CV General Mtg, then meet 10/9 at Growers Market, 7pm
Then meet twixt genl & Path Planning = 10/20; = meet tentatively Thurs, 10/17; 6:30 – 8pm

Sheep Herder tent/ used / flaps adjustable (roll up for more open) – variable sizes
Karla will check on sheep herder tent pricing/availability
Sue will ask Kirk – size ballpark…… What size will our structure space be?  25X25   with spill-over
And communicate such to Karla

Email from Eric — I have been researching tents and other portable structures.  These are… well… kinda expensive to purchase (in the thousands range) and nothing really captures the feel that would make it distinctly Fair-ish.  I think we could build one…?  Big John?  What cha think?  I will bring some pictures of the schpiegeltents I’ve located for reference, and we can talk about the potential here.  We might even be able to do a skeleton tent… I’ll include some pictures of this concept as well for our next meeting.

Sue — Muslin  is a building material….

More will be revealed

Signs & Banners:
Being Here Now (banner)– turn off your device (device free zone/self re-charging/adapt or die

Post this on Drum and come with ideas & willing energy to work on this…
Send email to each coord; it would be nice to have reps from each booth….
Now is the time to get on board/be here now

CV/New Venue Mtg 2013 0829

Melissa –Melissa Kirkland spinningbeads@gmail.com 541-654-3162, also GIS specialist (geographic information system)
Eric Maccionnaith            ericmaccionnaith@yahoo.com    541-606-9781
Katie Maccionnaith          rrribbet@yahoo.com                      541-232-0784
Big John Mccahill              bigsqurlnuts@gmail.com               541-606-4151
Sue Theolass                      theolass@efn.org                           541-688-6679
Jen-Lin Hodgden               jenlinjo@gmail.com                        541-485-3768
Karla Caudell                    kjcaudell@yahoo.com                   541-337-5319
Diane Albino                      iriedi@yahoo.com                          541-933-2584

.NET Path Planning see July map

8-9 food booths
39 craft booths?
Dance pavillion

No set place for us and/or EP yet….
2nd event venue

Magnetometer for water pipe, 30’ pipe.  Don’t want to find anything
Place waterline September before the rains come…

One CV proposal = 1500 sq’  NOT

9/22 = !-4 Path Planning Open

Let’s be content driven – size appropriate
Perhaps 500 sq’

What’s the intention of our space
Is it a teaser or something completely different
4-5 booths share 1 day
Focus on theme
Intro to Village
Creative, participatory, dynamic, interactive
Planet health education connects to EP?  Do we want to comingle w/ EP
Needs some construction/shade
No Paper handouts
Theme – create new workshop space
Kitschy – venting wall/soapbox
Management – needs its own booth co?-coordinator – own crew, not drain people out of village = more passes – probably not
Tim’s kiosk w/ paper – NOT
camp nearby
no word about new passes, maybe a handful
Theater for social change/applied theater – bring awareness, education w/o paper.  Dublin Festival —    Spiegel tent – middle-eastern type.  Never knew what it would look like from day to day on the inside.  i.e. martial arts – comfortable, lush, rich – big pillows – space that can transform – generate interest & mystery.  Use at night as well.  Caravan style.  The complicator creates situation/exercises around power, recognizing how you give/take power.  How to problem-solve on local/personal.  Flash exercises that talk about power – i.e. choose sound & movement to repeat over & over.  Amoeba factions of grouped sounds – determine work out power balance – why you make decisions to give up/take power….  Teach people about their own empowerment….  Able to cover most any/every topic.  Requires no training.
Installation art pieces — interactive
CV may have space every year, but not necessarily be located in the same space.
Use theme of the whole village for that year – as a place for whole village to focus in that area – then go to individual booths for more info —  cohesive/collaborative
Concept – different look every few years.
Double-check EP plans
Salon discussions – serve tea?  Sue?
Need serious theme early.
Internally – many little factions, not a central purpose— greater reflection of community
Invite people from booths to participate
Reinforce active events within the tent – great starting place.  Important that everybody consider the reality of logistics of trekking back n forth.  Not possible to move displays  — wild edibles.   Possibly the bees?  WE trying to be more pro-active/expanding scope
Is it a realistic objective that it will actually draw people to the village…  (secondary)  while in there, talk up village – also – similar entrance banners
Use main theme – work w/ booths – get the group’s stuff out front into the play –
Huge community building if it works right
Play –
Not something that can be done everyday for 3 days.
Maybe create sculpture
Creating a structure for what goes on in the area
Have a general meeting in October
Get theme set

Meet October?  Best attendance time/timing?
The new path decision will be confirmed in October….

Whose the point person?
Convenor – Karla
Scribe – Jen-Lin
PP liaison – Sue/Karla – good to grow more leadership

Next meeting – here at our house,
Melissa’s skills to support mapping  GIS  if someone has the software/computer…. For the whole front of fair or other areas
9/19 Thurs, 6pm?
9/18 front of Fair criteria mtg
9/22 pp meeting
Periodically meet on weekend?  — difficult for Karla  perhaps on a Sunday afternoon…..

Karla Set Village meeting for October/2nd Tuesday in October
Talk about theme / pull more people in
Eric thinks visually – director’s presentation – take to general meeting
Sue will check with Growers
Sue will ask for space confirmation if possible at 18th mtg  Are we bound to EP?

At least 10% of guests attend 3-days – may yet get to the village
Performance art best way to cover everything out there –
Huge mess to give booths separate time

Image of people/village on the outside – canvas/travelling tent – sheepherder tent

In the midst of sparkling crystals, aromatic foods, and a river of people rests an island of idealism, the Community Village. At the heart of the Fair, Community Village promotes social and environmental awareness by providing a forum for the free communication of ideas. The process of putting The Village together is as significant as the end itself, as we organize cooperatively through consensus decision-making.

Since 1976, we have grown from a modest display of appropriate technology to a community involving the energies of individuals from over 90 organizations.