Comments from the CV Meeting May 9, 2019
50th Anniversary Committee
Someone asked about T-shirts for display. Russell said the plan is to put up a banner with t-shirt graphics printed on the banner, so actual t-shirts are not needed.
Friday night party:
- Title for party?
- Time will be 9:30-12:30
- Bob has acts covered and is working on line up
- Each booth will do a center piece for tables: Think hurricane vase. Make sure it lights up
- Cloud lights: will need different size paper lanterns (12 total), led lights (battery powered, 4-5 total), Cotton stuffing
- Gold decorations for tables and booths: think table skirts, door beads
- Can use extra glow in the dark paint for outside games: think glow in the dark twister
Past and future walls:
- Teresa from pre-fair main camp is donating 2 4ftx8ft back canvases
- Will need wood panels (3-4 total) for the different cut outs
- Need acrylic paint
- Need glow in the dark paint
- Need black lights to charge glow in the dark paint
- Gathering photos/protest flyers
- Need a painter
Rally on the Green:
- Friday: Peace and Justice
- Saturday: Rainbow Village
- Sunday: Green Earth will do something
Inner booth display:
- We have a design, thanks Tim! (see below image)
- Have access to laser cutter at the end of May
- Need wood panel 4x4ft
- Need table to connect pieces, will need a 1” or so border applied
- Big John will help
Committee Meeting, 3/3/2019
March 3 members of the OCF Community Village 50th Anniversary Committee met and had a lovely time. Present were Kim, Michael S., Bob, Omo, Russell, Nel, Steve Brown, Tim.
Some of this will be discussed at next week’s Village meeting.
These are Tim’s notes, so if other attendees have stuff to add or correct, please do…
If you and your booth develop any of these ideas that require money, you must create a budget listing what you wanna buy and how much, and give to to Kim. She can then make sure it fits into our budget (we have $1,000), authorize the spending, and get your receipt to the Fair for reimbursement.
- Tim. No progress had been made to get Archeology’s opinion on a buried in the Village Time Capsule. However, today the Ritz posted on Facebook their plan to create Time Capsules. Hopefully we can gather content to be included in that plan. Read more at the bottom of this message.
- Russell. Kid’s Council. Past discussions gave rise to a few ideas for kids: Scavenger Hunt (we discussed making this mandatory for all…with a prize for those who get it done, maybe) Passport Stamps, Time Capsule. We are also counting on kids to create artwork for the Future Wall expressing their dreams for the future. Linda from Youth Booth and Childcare folks will help with this.
- Stage Crew. We discussed details of how to get a new banner for the front of the stage. Scott (signs & banners) had mentioned that new banners require someone to order or tell him about the material needed and he can mostly help by getting the space ready to paint a banner. We discussed design ideas, materials, size, etc. In the end Stage Crew needs to communicate with Scott to make this happen. Money can come from our 50th
- Omo. Activist Rallies. This idea calls for a 40 minute rally on the Green each Fair day from 3:05 – 3:45pm. A rally would be themed (environment, community, justice…), be participatory, and involve perhaps more than one organization, maybe even all of a booth. It would include some historical perspective as well as ongoing activities, speeches, music, signs, chants, excitement… We thought one name for these rallies would be good, with a subtitle for the subject of the rally: “Activating Our Dream: for the Climate”, or “Power to the People: Diversity is Our Strength”, or something like that… Names we mentioned include the two above plus “Activate Your Future”, and “We’re Not Done Yet!”. Omo is coordinating this and will be talking to booths during Booth Breakdown at the next Village meeting.
- Bob. One idea we are working on is a Friday Night Speakeasy or Golden Party (name may change)…bring the Gather Round tables and chairs into the Green and have live music and e-candles from 9-11:30pm Friday night. This event will feature almost exclusively Village performers with 10-15 minutes each, that Bob will schedule. Stage Crew will be arranging battery powered sound enhancement if needed. This may include a video projected on a sheet hanging in front of the stage. If we can figure out dependable power, Tim can create a video by compiling other’s footage…
We will ask the Village at next meeting if they have any objection to a Friday night event, or if they would rather do it in conjunction with the Green Earth Saturday night party, though this committee prefers Friday for less Fair competition and noise.
- Tim & Russell. Standardized Inner Booth Display (SIBD). This idea began as a uniformly designed sign in each booth, and has morphed into a puzzle piece for each booth that can be combine into a finished puzzle that would get put together sometime Sunday. The shape and content and materials needed were discussed. We liked the idea of puzzle pieces made with rubber play mats cut into puzzle shapes. Each piece would have a booth specific content (photos and text imaged onto the rubber) but an underlying background graphic that would only be recognized when the puzzle is assembled. This could be a rectangle puzzle or a pyramid with 3 sides or a banner shape that could double as a bench cushion. Stay tuned…
- Kim & Russell. Past and Future walls. The Past Wall (History Wall?) will include select pieces of Village history, past participants photos, old posters, old vision statement, examples of past conflicts toward progress, and whatever works. Russell is gather much of this, so please contact him with ideas. Photos can be emailed to VillagePhotos50th@gmail.com where they will be considered. We have a budget to reproduce or enlarge photos, etc., so do not hesitate to offer stuff we can then copy and use so your original is safe. Russell created a very cool mock-up of what the wall (on the Shady Grove Path, Little Village side) could look like. Work Parties, anyone?! They are attached. We also discussed using black light paint for part of this, and ask all of you to find things to post, esp Deborah from Arts Booth who has a lot of photos.
Future Wall. This is the Moon Lodge side of the path to Shady Grove. This asks you to share your or your organization’s vision for the future. A photo, a paragraph, a slogan, a wish, a drawing… You make it, we’ll try to include it in the display.
The photo on left is for the Future Wall design, the other for the History Wall.
- We discussed other ideas that had been mentioned earlier. Steve will look at the possibility of having the Green Dragon Parade start in the Village. The People Tree idea was covered by the other displays we are doing. Featuring Village movers and shakers in short vignettes from the stage or Green is covered sorta by the activist rallies.
- T-shirts. An online discussion about displaying vintage t-shirts was continued. We have lots of them… Hang them from the parachute cords? Turn them into a quilt? Hang them from you booth loft as a privacy screen? Hang them sorta folded so they don’t look like laundry? Gather your t-shirts now! This will happen somehow, and we need a “buckstopper” for this.
That’s it. Here is contact info for those involved:
Steve Brown: email@example.com
Winter Greetings from the Ritz
It’s late February. A foot of new snow covers the ground—a rare occurrence in this part of Lane County. It’s quiet and beautiful.
The OCF Family, including the Ritz Sauna & Showers, is preparing for an awesome 50th Anniversary celebration this July. You may remember that the Ritz, in conjunction with the Story Pole carving and raising, initiated a time capsule project. Although raising the pole did not occur as planned, we did complete the Ritz Pavilion which was designed to support the pole. Over the past two years we used this welcoming, open space for conversations about the intersection of art and culture and began collecting written comments from the Fair Family and patrons on these issues as well as their visions and concerns about the Fair’s future. We plan to put these comments and other materials in the four cylindrical (4” x 30”) stainless-steel time capsules (10, 25, 50 and 100 year) which will be placed within the pavilion floor. We will follow the guidelines of the International Time Capsule Society (use of archival paper, conversion of color photos to black and white, etc.) to ensure preservation of the contents. Microfilm, which is low tech, stable and capable of efficiently storing large volumes of information (photographs and documents), has been selected for this project.
You are invited to share your stories and experiences at the Ritz for inclusion in one of the time capsules. Since your submittals will be placed on microfilm, they can be typed or hand written. Please use 8½” x 11” white paper. Include your name, and date the document. Submittals must be received by April 15th. Mail to:
Ritz Sauna & Showers
PO Box 7274
Springfield, OR 97475
Attn: Time Capsules.
We hope to hear from you.
CV ‘s OCF 50th Anniversary Committee
Thursday Dec 27, 7-8:30 pm at 2096 1/2 Arthur St, Eugene
I hope we can develop project leaders for these activities:
- Coordinate the design of the Standardized Inner Booth Display (SIBD)
- Coordinate the gathering of historical articles, posters, manifestoes, photographs or other documents that would be eligible for display on the History Wall (the Little Village fence from 6packs to Village)
- Coordinate the display of Historical Items above
- Work perhaps with Kids Council to create and display items on the Future Goals Wall (fence from Moon Lodge to Recycling)
- Keep accounting of expenditures / adhere to budgets for projects
- Coordinate various activities – entertainment, parties, demonstrations, old timers circle, whatever
If we have these leaders designated, I think we will be able to start these projects planning right away. Of course, your input in this proposed structure is welcome, as well as your enthusiasm for these 50th plans.
I’m looking forward to rocking the place next Summer!