Community Village / Council Meeting Notes 9-16-2021

Present: Tim, David H, Nathan, Jain, Kevin Levy, Susan Colson, Karyn w/GE, Rich Ross, Margaret A, Lareina, Brooks, Fred, Kelsey, Cordy, Jon Wilson, Sue Barnhart near the end.

Hello – in breakout rooms (15 everyone – Host)

Set Intention (5 Minutes, Facilitator)

Agenda Review (3 Minutes, Facilitator)

Fair Announcements (5 Minutes)

OCF Elections – Guest (5 minutes)

Virtual Fair Feedback (Tim et al, 15 Minutes)

In-person + Zoom meeting survey results

Site Report – David (5 Minutes)

One Fun Thing – (5 Minutes, Facilitator)

Diversity Report – Brooks (15 minutes)

Tipi replacement – Brooks (15 minutes)

Unfair Announcements (5 minutes, All)

Strokes and pokes (5 minutes, All)

______________________________________________________________________

Hello – in breakout rooms (15 everyone – Host)

Set Intention (5 Minutes, Facilitator)

One word describing the hoped for quality of tonight’s meeting: Fun, Listening, Creativity, Community, x2, Unity, Healthy, Happy, Gratefulness, Connection, Open mindedness, Symbiosis, Decency, followed by Long3 breaths….

Agenda Review (3 Minutes, Facilitator)

No additions or changes

Fair Announcements (5 Minutes)

Elections OCF: get registered, make sure you get a ballot in a week or so. Candidates Forum 26th. Kevin Levy is write-in, not on the ballot.

OCF Elections – Guest (5 minutes)

Glad to be here. Write-in candidate. Candidate for OCF Board is Kevin Levy is crafter at OCF. 2014 first Fair. Real Estate Agent in daytime. On Fixed Assets Committee, to evaluate OCF properties held for various options. Attributes: Diplomacy with precision, loves Fair. Impression of board vibe? Seems good now. He is always positive outlook, that would be good energy for board. Any board experiences? Now on Eugene Board of Realtors working on education curriculum for agents to keep licenses updated, set up organize. Brings a fresh perspective.

Virtual Fair Feedback (Tim et al, 15 Minutes)

Tim says we had 850 or so hits on our website that weekend. Acts who contributed ‘for this event’ original videos were paid by OCF, including Omo, Frog, David Rodgers, Rainbow Village, Youth Power, OU Zero Waste Program (who diverted their payment to Bring Recycling), and those who appeared live at the WOW Hall segment – Jim Page, Bluphoria and Broth Band.
Cordy: it was kinda weird…Billy W (who did NA meetings in tipi) had zoom issues, no-one came, she spent the time with Billy who died 2 days later. Was hard to find workshops, but her family loved the shows, especially Tom Noddy. Wonders if internationals watched, who is tracking? A great way to spread our activist messages. Others loved being at the Circle, Billy was there too. Watchout for coming rain… Maybe set up a Village memorial for those who’ve passed, with photos…? Opening Circle was moving there and also in video…feature on website? (Now on our Home page), liked show sequence. Lareina thought it was live when she first saw it… Was awesome.

In-person + Zoom meeting survey results

 Only 10 responses, no consensus, most want to stay remote, not in-person. How do you feel about zoom, where would we go in winter? Things gotta wait till things are a lot better. Great to attend when not on town, we can hear and see better, likes Zoom. Maybe in person by April… Set up options of hybrid…! Maybe always hybrid, would love late winter-spring.
Will participation be the same as before? Will all come back?? Does OCF have equipment we could use? Brooks will ask, Tim will ask Adrian. Don’t forget those with hearing loss… Whirled Pies optionis possible, they have the setup, but would not be private. Hybrid sounds like a lot of work… Have Community gatherings separate from meeting…? Council will ask Church. OCF needs to start Fair prep well before April.

From the chat: It is hard to know how many people really want to socialize and have that connection. I think we all talk about it as an important part of our community, and certainly want it to be, but I wonder how much interest/attendance there would really be. Although I will say some of the less attended events have been the ones I remember better as they involved longer talks and connections with new people.

Site Report – David (5 Minutes)

Hasn’t been out for a while. May flood this weekend. Site crew guy is watering the bamboo, may need repotting. Sauna tree had to go, infested. Jain: beautiful, trees stealing riverbank, Chela Mela lost space. Good to be out there. Erosion continues… Some damage amid the beauty…

One Fun Thing – (5 Minutes, Tim)

Council. Good Deed Doer stories. We are definitely Good Deed Doers!!!

Diversity Report – Brooks (15 minutes) + Tipi replacement – Brooks (15 minutes)

How to be more inclusive to other groups. Ask each booth to add BIPOC members in their own subject area which can be contributor to that subject, for example, Arts could include native or other cultural artists. OCF consultants made recommendations. 1 was passes go to parts of fair that are doing this work. We had already had passes added (12??) We may get more. Different cultures…
– Morphed to totem pole incident…
Tipi’s were included in a letter to OCF as objected to by a local Tribe. Maybe we don’t need ours. Council retreat decided, replace it or post an explanation, or respond in a productive way.

Can we do a land acknowledgement statement? Don’t forget the actual people…

Brooks gotta speak to Kia the tipi owner first. These fall meetings are a good time to discuss this. “We need to stay relevant through change” Who do we wanna be in 50 years?
CV Diversity Committee will be active this coming year, so we can be culturally competent with newcomers. All are welcome there and at Fair 4th Sundays meetings. OCF Workshop recordings from the virtual Fair on their way. One Native talked about original colonialization in 14th century. Will make good trainings.

Can we incorporate these objectives in our mission statement? A good project to take on…
Oregon’s history led to low population of blacks which is hard to overcome. Loves the tipi architecture. Why is it so connected to American Natives that we can’t use it?

Loves the use of that space, but we could use another structure.

Council would put out request for new structures if tipi is removed. ARC Park has a plank lodge with Tribe members…
Call tipi a unique architecture design to highlight their culture through it. Use it for that rather than a quiet place. Would need plains Indians like Apache among us, as they are one of the tipi using tribes. Nomadic outposts are all over, did Kyapula use travel lodging? What was it?
Village is the breeding ground of change, can’t let the culture leave us behind, we gotta lead the way with FUN. Believe our mission is making Change! Phuuuunnn! We need young hearts.

Great talk!

Keep up the rock’n’roll!

Unfair Announcements (5 minutes, All)

Every Friday Social visit www.kindtree.org
World Aids Day Dec 1st at park blocks in the evening, also virtual, details TBA

Territorial Vineyards has nice bands 5-8pm Thursday – Saturday older people come to dance. 907 W 3rd https://territorialvineyards.com/

Strokes and pokes (5 minutes, All)

Great facilitation. X8. Nice to meet Kevin, discussions were great. Nice to talk hard things in smaller groups. Kevin glad to be here. Where to write in his name? Registration for OCF election just closed…watch for your ballot by September 25. Check OCF for stuff
https://oregoncountryfair.net/board-election-info-2021/

Ommmmmmm../.

Zoom does support captions/transcription now. needs setting up before the meeting?  We should definitely enable for future meetings. Explore sign language?

Notes by Tim

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s