Community Village Meeting Notes Oct 10, 2019

About 20 people attended including Council members: Tim, Russell, David.
Notes: Tim. Time Keeper: Cody. Facilitator: Loreina.

Agenda Review

Intro
Fair Announcements
Decon Report
Budget Request Update
Diversity Committee Report
Connecting
2020 Construction
Council Confirmation Proposal
Non-Fair Announcements
OM

Intros
Everybody had a name and place. Awesome.

Fair Announcements

  • 6:30 Sat Oct 19 OCF Annual Meeting and voting at Whiteaker Elementary School, 21 N Grand Street, Eugene. Board candidate Steven Dirke(sp?) has withdrawn, Martha may run from the floor – as a write in. If you choose 7 (you can vote for only 6), then you’ll have an alternate choice in case someone drops out or Martha chooses not to run. Here arethe Candidate Statements of those running for a seat on the Board.
  • Facilitation Group needs new members! If folks don’t sign up for this group, we will see the same faces facilitating every month. Contact jflan@efn.org to be added to their e-list.
  • 1st Annual Fair Moopathon is THIS SATURDAY! Meet onsite at 10:00am, will be working in camping areas and the parking lot. Lunch will be served.
  • Please use the following link for the OCF Elections/Bylaws Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LRPN7VD . We would greatly appreciate it if you would complete this survey (unless the survey crew found you during Fair).

DECON:
Storage truck trailers are now available for CV storage. Big John has arranged for a few folks to be onsite around 1pm to finish Village decon – stage walls and floor, Gather Round tables and benches, and other items mentioned in David’s previous email. 5-6 people raised their hands that they are planning on being onsite. If we get done fast we can help with the Moopathon. Gonna be a nice weekend! Doors Co-Coord and 2020 Council Shadow Sara will tell her booth how to cover their loft ladder so no one no gets into the loft.

Budget proposal

This is the pass allocation deal Arthur presented and consented on last winter, resulting in a Fair budget change regarding our total pass costs. The request needs to be presented to the budget committee by a Council member in the next few days. Karla is taking this on, and Arthur will be available to help if needed.

Diversity Committee
Brook spoke that the committee has not met but plans on doing so this month. They are reaching out to the NAACP in search of possible Village participants.

Connecting

Russell speaks to remind us that our Community is better when we all feel connected to one another. We should consider how to better use our communication tools – the DRUM, website, Facebook, etc – to learn more about each other. Perhaps Booth Coords could have more gatherings, but we must balance meetings with having a life… He also suggested we submit an article for the Fair Family News every month. Their guidelines are 300 – 500 words, due right after the OCF Board meeting, usually the 1st Monday of the month.

One thought 500 words is too many. Others suggested our participating organizations could submit articles, another suggested booths could do so, another thought it could be tied into our ‘activist reports’, perhaps have groups include an article with their report. All these things can help us benefit our Community, raise the Village profile, and help spread our vision to the world.

2020 Construction

If your booth needs construction repairs or rebuilds for 2020, your design and budget must be submitted in January. But first you need to have Rick, our construction leader, and Big John, Council construction liaison, go over the plans with you to be sure they are workable. That needs to happen in December or before. This is the responsibility of the Booth Coord. As Big John was not at the meeting, Russell volunteered to check in with Rick.

Spirit Booth was mentioned as perhaps needing major work. 4A has also hopes for more space. And their redone booth has a tree leaning against it, being held up by the booth. Apparently, we can’t have booths holding up trees. One person mentioned that if the tree is gonna fall over on its own, why don’t we let it… Guess what David said….
There will be an update on this at our next meeting, Nov 14.

Council Confirmation Proposal

A copy of the proposal was handed out. This proposal has been worked on since last February by a committee including John, Nel, Arthur, Sue B and Karla. Their hope is that we could find a better, less hurtful and less time consuming plan, for the betterment of our Village functioning, for candidates and for people with concerns. It was presented at the September Village meeting, and tonight’s version includes edits made from September’s suggestions.

Section by section:

Opening sentence: It is understood that as a community, we will resolve our issues with one another in a timely manner.

  1. STAND FOR COUNCIL
    People will stand for Council this coming January of 2020, but for future years people stand for Council at the October Community Village meeting (beginning October 2020).

Doing this in October means that fewer people will be in attendance. Is this fair? For the last few years we have tackled difficult issues in Fall meetings with success. Those who wish to be involved in process and discussion are welcome to come, and their attendance at Fall meetings helps fulfill the Guidelines for participation. No decision is being made, people are just standing for Council. People with concerns ARE paying attention.

  1. EXPRESS CONCERNS, IF THERE ARE ANY
    A Villager (and/or advocate if needed) with concerns about a person standing for Council must notify that person within 1 week of the CVDrum posting of those standing for Council. Parties shall discuss and resolve issues by phone or in person, (email is not recommended).

Some folks objected to beginning the 1 week notification requirement right away as folks may not be tuned in during the Fall. However, one week is what we have always had. Discussion centered around ways to make sure a person with a concern had time to express it. The phrase above, “within 1 week of the CVDrum posting of those standing for Council “ was added. Presently the DRUM has 130 or so members, with 30-40 more on the Announcement Only list, plus the website will be kept current. It was the consensus that this change will allow any Villager time enough to express their concerns with a candidate. It was also mentioned that people planning on standing for Council could announce that intention at the September meeting, or on the DRUM, at any time before October’s meeting. One suggested we require notice in September.

  1. FACILITATED DIALOGUE
    If concerns persist:
    * parties notify Council that dialogue has not resolved issues, and
    * either party requests facilitated dialogue from CeDaR. CeDaR is the fair’s conflict resolution team that focuses on interpersonal disputes between fair family members. CeDaR volunteers are professionally trained mediators from the Center for Dialogue and Resolution, a nonprofit agency located at 1400 Cross St. Eugene 541- 344-5366.
    *If facilitated dialogue is not requested within three weeks after the stand for Council the person standing will be confirmed to council.
    *CeDaR will arrange a time and place.
    *CeDaR will provide to Council the final written agreement.

CeDaR is created just for this purpose – to facilitate conversations between Fair family that need help to resolve their concerns. Omo has left the Village to work with them. They are trained and waiting, and have agreed to help this way. They do not do arbitration. Someone suggested we go to Fair Resolution for this, but that group has said that is not their mission. CeDaR can help Villager’s with concerns about a Council candidate work through them with the candidate in an atmosphere of impartiality focused on finding resolution, as our Guidelines have always asked of us. One mentioned how just such a conversation successfully happened during his 2019 stand for Council, after many in-meeting conversations that have been our process failed to find resolution.
It was noted that the responsibility to contact CeDaR Is effectively left to the person with concerns, because the candidate is automatically confirmed if no facilitated dialog is requested. However, either party can initiate the dialog.

  1. ARBITRATION
    If issues are not resolved within 7 weeks, arbitration is requested from the Village Resource Group. The Village Resource Group will be made up of people who have been in the village for at least 3 years; and at least 3 of whom must be present for the arbitration. (Village Resource Group will be further defined and developed.) Village Resource Group members will recuse themselves if they have a conflict of interest. They will seek appropriate training.  (The Fair offers trainings in conflict resolution and arbitration each October).  The arbitrators will listen to both parties and decide the outcome. OUTCOME IS BINDING. This will happen before the second meeting following the stand for Council.

To better define the timetable: 1 week for the stand for council notification, 3 weeks (till November Village meeting) to work with CeDaR, more weeks to complete arbitration with Village Resource Group by the end of December, if needed. Dates if it were 2019: Oct 11 – notification. November 13– CeDaR. December – Village Resource Group. Decision by the VRG is rendered before the January Village meeting.
Concern was expressed that this process removes the decision from the Village as a whole. What if someone with a concern is unable to get up the courage to begin a conflict? Part of the point of this proposal is to remove the process from Village meetings where so much pain and so much time is spent without reaching resolution. The VRG is envisioned and trusted to include experienced Villagers who will take training, recuse themselves if they are too personally involved with whatever issue, and who value our commitment to fairness and seeking what is best for the Village.
It was noted that CeDaR is available all year, and that our Guidelines ask us to resolve issues with other Villagers as soon as possible, rather than wait until Council confirmation time to present issues. This comment led to the opening sentence that appears at the top of the proposal. It is understood that as a community, we will resolve our issues with one another in a timely manner.VRG will also be available all year to help resolve issues.
Even though in the proposal the makeup of the VRG was left to be decided in detail later, some discussion centered around what that might be. Some concerns were that the VRG would need to be diverse, would it be a safe space, would members get training… Some thought once the group had members, they could decide how set it up to best serve the Village. It was decided we would get to “the weeds” later. We settled on the above text.

  1. VILLAGE WELCOMES NEW COUNCIL
    The Village welcomes the new Council the second meeting after the stand for Council.
    In 2020, Council will stand at January meeting and be welcomed by March. Subsequently, Council will stand in October (2020 and on) and be welcomed in January of the following year. 

We spent some time talking about what to do now, update the proposal for November discussion or call for consensus now. The call for consensus was issued, and no objections were raised. The proposal consensed on is below and will be posted on the web site soon here.

Non-Fair Announcements
– Autism Rocks “Disco Halloween Extravaganza 2” happens October 27, 6-10 pm at Whirled Pies. Dancing and costume contests for all.
– KOCF Costume party Friday Nov 1.
– Zack Schwartz has a radio show on KEPW Monday evenings. Kepw.org
– David loves his non-prescription bifocals, available for reasonable price at Mallory Safety on Wilson.
– Daylight Savings starts (ends?) on Sunday Nov 3. Fall back!
– Can Jain be on the VRG? Jain says yes!

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

 

Tim Mueller
Community Village Coordinating Council

 

Council Selection Process…. Consensed 10/10/19

It is understood that as a community, we will resolve our issues with one another in a timely manner.

  1. STAND FOR COUNCIL
    People will stand for Council this coming January of 2020, but for future years people stand for Council at the October Community Village meeting (beginning October 2020).
  2. EXPRESS CONCERNS, IF THERE ARE ANY
    A Villager (and/or advocate if needed) with concerns about a person standing for Council must notify that person within 1 week of the CVDrum posting of those standing for Council. Parties shall discuss and resolve issues by phone or in person, (email is not recommended).
  3. FACILITATED DIALOGUE
    If concerns persist:
    * parties notify Council that dialogue has not resolved issues, and
    * either party requests facilitated dialogue from CeDaR. CeDaR is the fair’s conflict resolution team that focuses on interpersonal disputes between fair family members. CeDaR volunteers are professionally trained mediators from the Center for Dialogue and Resolution, a nonprofit agency located at 1400 Cross St. Eugene 541- 344-5366.
    *If facilitated dialogue is not requested within three weeks after the stand for Council the person standing will be confirmed to council.
    *CeDaR will arrange a time and place.
    *CeDaR will provide to Council the final written agreement.
  4. ARBITRATION
    If issues are not resolved within 7 weeks, arbitration is requested from the Village Resource Group. The Village Resource Group will be made up of people who have been in the village for at least 3 years; and at least 3 of whom must be present for the arbitration. (Village Resource Group will be further defined and developed.) Village Resource Group members will recuse themselves if they have a conflict of interest. They will seek appropriate training.  (The Fair offers trainings in conflict resolution and arbitration each October).  The arbitrators will listen to both parties and decide the outcome. OUTCOME IS BINDING. This will happen before the second meeting following the stand for Council.
  5. VILLAGE WELCOMES NEW COUNCIL
    The Village welcomes the new Council the second meeting after the stand for Council.
    In 2020, Council will stand at January meeting and be welcomed by March. Subsequently, Council will stand in October (2020 and on) and be welcomed in January of the following year.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s